Weber Chili on the Grill
Weber Grill Recipe INGREDIENTS
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, cores removed
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons pure chile powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound top sirloin steak, about 3/4 inch thick
- 3 boneless pork loin chops, each about 5 ounces and 3/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) ale
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) pinto beans
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
1. First of all grill the tomatoes over direct medium heat (350°F to 450°F), with the lid closed as much as possible, until the skins are lightly charred on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes, turning as needed. And then transfer the tomatoes to a food processor and purée (in batches, if necessary), then pour into a large saucepan.
2. Brush or spray the celery and onion slices with olive oil. Grill the celery, onions, and jalapeño over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until well marked, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board. Chop the celery and onions into 1/4-inch pieces. Mince the jalapeño. Add the vegetables to the tomato purée.
3. Next In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the chile powder, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Brush or spray the meat with oil and season both sides of the steak and the chops with the spices. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, for about 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and cut into 3/4-inch cubes, then add to the tomato mixture.
4. And then add the remaining 1 tablespoon chile powder, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, oregano, garlic, cayenne, ale, and broth to the meat mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat cubes are very tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Add the pinto beans and simmer for 15 minutes more.
6. Serve warm in individual bowls and top with the cheese and sour cream. Enjoy the chili on the grill.
Weber grill recipes: classic-bacon-cheeseburger